Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Best Lobster Bisque Recipe Ever!

Life is Good: and overflowing with bisque!

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's Eve! I wish you the greatest of God's blessings in 2014. May peace reside in your hearts and in those around you and may joy & laughter overtake all situations.

I had a couple of people email me about the lobster bisque I talked about in this post. Please feel free to post comments below individual blog posts or email me at howtobepleasant@hotmail.com or post on the How to be Pleasant-A Blog facebook page with any questions or comments. I am always open to your communication!

Here is the recipe! I looked at three recipes--this one, this one, and this one to create my own. I am leaving off an ingredients list because I think it is easier to follow along with instructions only.

Susie's New Year's Eve Lobster Bisque
Instructions:
1. Cut through the centers of two 10- 12 oz. lobster tails, breaking through the shells (frozen is okay if you can't get fresh)
2. Salt some water (I use Himalayan Pink Salt) in a steamer pot and place the lobster tails (shell side down) in the steamer section, and bring to a boil.
2. Steam for 7-10 minutes.
3. Turn off heat and allow lobster tails to cool in the steamer. (Keep the lobster steaming water to use later.)


4. In a stockpot, melt 2 sticks of salted butter under very low heat.
5. Add 1/2 cup finely minced yellow (or Vidalia) onion and 2 teaspoons minced garlic to the melted butter.
6. When lobster tails are cool, remove meat from the shells (try to keep it all in one piece) and place lobster shells in stockpot. If you need to turn off the heat on the stockpot until the meat is cooled, do so. Don't burn your butter!
7. One tablespoon at a time, add 10 tablespoons of flour to the melted butter mixture, making sure to avoid lumps.
NOTE: Make sure that the heat on your stockpot is low throughout this process. If you need to, turn off the heat completely between steps. Don't burn your base or the bisque will be ruined.
8. Deglaze the stockpot with 2 cups of white wine (Chardonnay is preferable) or chicken stock. Stir thoroughly so that you don't have any lumps. Add 2 1/2 cups of the salted water that you steamed your lobster tails in to this mixture.
9. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then take out the shells.


10. Add 4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, and 1 teaspoon celery salt to mixture (celery salt is optional if you are watching your sodium).
11. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika and 4 bay leaves to the mixture. Keep simmering.
12. Stir in 6 ounces of tomato paste to the mixture. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
13. Add two dashes of black pepper to the mixture.
14. Add 6 cups heavy cream to mixture and allow to simmer for several minutes.
15. Add 1 1/2 cups milk (I use whole milk) to soup mixture (or more milk or lobster water from the steamer if you want to thin out the bisque).
16. Remove the bay leaves.
17. Cut up lobster meat in various-sized pieces and add to soup. Allow to simmer.




Serve with a crusty bread like Ciabatta. Makes approximately 6 large servings (bowls).

As always, the first time that you make this recipe is the most difficult. The second time is super easy (really!). With this recipe, you can adjust the amounts of cream, milk, tomato paste, herbs, and salt to achieve your family's perfect flavor.

I hope you not only enjoy the end product, but also the cooking process! I really enjoy the act of cooking. It makes me feel close to my grandma and mom, two great cooks. It also is a "slowing down" time for me and a time that I can think, pray, and process.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment