Monday, May 19, 2014

Easy, Fluffy, Egg-free, Eggless Homemade Pancake Recipe

Life is Good: especially on the weekends


We spent the day raking and reseeding both of our lawns yesterday. Well, in between chasing kids, that is. It was a beautiful, sunny day that we really needed after such a long winter in Minnesota and a wet, chilly spring. But when it came to making dinner, I sighed. I was a bit pooped. So what was something super easy that I could make to satisfy my brood? Something I hardly ever make at all...breakfast for dinner!

Turkey bacon, turkey sausage links (do you sense a theme here?) and my own eggless, fluff-alicious pancake recipe. Oh, I hear the groans. What is it about cooking and baking from scratch that makes some people recoil? Seriously, this recipe is just as easy as puling the pre-made mix out of the cupboard, measuring it out, adding liquid and an egg. Wait, my recipe might be easier! Truly, every recipe is hardest the first time you make it, but this one truly is simple. Here it is:

Susie's Eggless Pancake Mix
(adapted from this recipe)
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (you don't have to, but it makes them fluffier)
7 teaspoons baking powder, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I like Pink Himalayan)
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 cups milk (I use organic whole)
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup (heaping over) applesauce (I use organic, no sugar added)
1 Tablespoon vanilla (I prefer Madagascar)

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of baking powder into the applesauce and set aside. This will mimic 2 beaten eggs in the recipe.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour (or at least distribute evenly), SIX teaspoons of baking powder, salt, and sugar. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. Pour milk, vanilla, and melted butter into dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Add applesauce mixture and mix well.
5. Oil (or butter) a griddle or fry pan. When heated, use a Tablespoon to measure out your pancakes. These are fluffy pancakes, so they need a lower heat and longer on the griddle to cook all the way through. Use the first couple of pancakes to experiment how long it takes on each side to cook all the way through without scorching the outside of the pancake. For me, it takes a couple of minutes on each side with a medium heat on my gas stove.
6. Serve with real maple syrup--and top with some fruit, if you want--and enjoy!



NOTES: 
This recipe makes between 24-30 half dollar-sized pancakes. Add-ins to the batter like bananas or blueberries or a teaspoon of cinnamon make for an extra yummy pancake!


No comments:

Post a Comment