Wednesday, December 11, 2013

How to Pray

Life is Good: say thanks for it!

Yesterday before lunch, the little one and I had a playdough party. He was intent on making fish. And I was truly amazed that he figured out how to make something that pretty much looked like a fish all on his on. These fish were kind of mashed and mangled oval-ish balls with a tail. Er, fin. I continue to be reminded that he is no longer a baby.

Then it was time for lunch. So I asked him if he wanted to pray. We've been doing this since he was old enough to sit at the table. He hasn't always been able to present a coherent response, but we always give him the respect of the opportunity. Now he is speaking in detailed sentences and never refuses the chance to pray. Or talk. About anything! Hmm. I wonder who he gets that from?

Well, this was yesterday's prayer before lunch: "Thank you, God, for PLAYDOUGH! Fish. Mommy. Food. PLAYDOUGH!!! Amen."

I grinned the kind of grin you grin when you are trying so desperately not to laugh. It was funny. And sweet. And as we began to eat, I surmised that if I was giggling inside about that prayer, then God must be, too.

I don't think prayer has to be formal. I don't think you always have to get down on your knees to pray. I don't think you have to be in church or speak in the King's English or recite something that sounds like poetry to pray. I think God wants us to talk to Him in any way we can and about everything. Everything. Absolutely everything. Including playdough and fish and food and more playdough. I think God smiles and rejoices any time we talk to him. Resting on our knees, in the car, in the shower, five minutes before we walk into a meeting, anywhere, any way.

In this season of hustle and bustle, let's take time to talk to God. Whenever about whatever. And if you've never prayed before, don't let that stop you from starting. Even if it is thanking God for playdough. Or those kids who play with it. It doesn't have to be formal. It doesn't have to be anything except what you need it to be. After all, He made you. He made you to be exactly who you are. Talk to him about it.

We humans are a lot like that playdough...sometimes we are smooth and perfectly shaped and sometimes we are smashed and dented and rough around the edges. No matter what form you take today, God loves you. God loves you beyond words, beyond human comprehension. Rejoice in that today! (And talk to him about it.)

                                                     Photo from mommypotamus.com

"And I pray that you and all God’s holy people will have the power to understand the greatness of Christ’s love—how wide, how long, how high, and how deep that love is." (Ephesians 3:18)


No comments:

Post a Comment