Saturday, June 24, 2017

Red, White, and Blue Desserts for the Fourth of July

Life is Good: our forefathers made sure of it!

I love Independence Day. Maybe it's because it was my due date when I was in the womb? (I arrived a week late and my mom says that I have been trying to make up for it ever since!) Or maybe I'm just naturally patriotic. Either way, I love the holiday---warm sun on my face, pool or lake time, and...dessert! 

Yesterday I shared my yummy-tasty-easy-I mean eeeeeeasy-recipe for eggless individual banana cream pies so today, as promised, I'm sharing how I made red, white, and blue Rice Krispies treats (with all due credit for the idea to our Big Kid--I'm glad he's learning something from me! Party, party!). 

Very important to remember: you will need the ingredients for THREE full recipes of the traditional Rice Krispies treats. 
The recipe for one quantity is:
3 T. butter
1 pkg (10 ounces or 4 cups) mini marshmallows
6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
(So you will need three times everything above to make the Star Spangled Rice Krispies Treats.)

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
2. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. 
3. Remove from heat. 
4. Add cereal and stir until well coated.

To make Susie's Star Spangled Rice Krispies treats:
1. Make one quantity of Rice Krispies treats.
2. Before you add the cereal, add five drops of blue food coloring to the melted marshmallows.
3. Add cereal and mix.
4. Spray a spatula with Pam spray and fold the blue treats mixture into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Use the spatula to flatten the treats into the dish.

Here is a pic of the first layer. (I did mine backwards---red, white, blue instead of blue, white, red.) I know...it kind of looks like raw meat. I promise it tasted better than that!


5. Make a second quantity of Rice Krispies treats following the traditional recipe.
6. Using your sprayed spatula, add the treats recipe atop the blue layer. (This is your "white" layer.)
7. Make a third quantity of Rice Krispies treats. Before adding the cereal, add five drops of red food coloring to the mixture.
8. Mix in the cereal. 
9. Using the spatula, flatten the red mixture atop the plain (white) treats layer.
10. Allow to cool a few hours.
11. Cut into desired sized pieces. 
12. Marvel at how crafty you are!
13. Enjoy!



Happy Independence Day!



SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment