Friday, June 23, 2017

Red, White, and Blue Desserts for Memorial Day or Fourth of July

Life is Good: dig in!

If you're starting to think about Fourth of July desserts, then my recipe from Memorial Day is just what you're looking for!

We had such a fun Memorial Day weekend this year--a little rest & a lot of fun. Part of that fun was spending a day with our Goddaughter (age 10) and her family. We had great weather that was perfect for dads vs. kids baseball and rolling around in the grass. 




We grilled out and had the uber holiday weekend menu--burgers, brats, corn on the cob...super traditional and low key. "Casual" was the name of the game, and that called for an easy but fun dessert.

Our Big Kid informed me that he had THE best idea for dessert: red, white, and blue Rice Krispies treats. I had to give it to him...that was simply brilliant! And I knew the kids would love it. But I wanted something a little more grown up, too, so I decided to make (eggless, of course) individual red, white, and blue banana cream pies, too. Turns out, everybody wanted one of each. Success!

Susie's Red, White, & Blue Individual (Eggless) Banana Cream Pies
Filling Ingredients:
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt (I use pink Himalayan)
1 2/3 c. milk
1 t. vanilla (I use Madagascar)
3 T. cornstarch
2 T. butter

Directions:
1. Cook the first four ingredients over low heat until smooth. 
2. Slowly, add three Tablespoons of cornstarch--one at a time-- to the mixture, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
3. Increase your flame to medium and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens.
4. When thick, add butter and whisk as it melts. 
5. Turn off the flame and slice two bananas into the thickened mixture.
6. Gently fold the banana slices into the mixture and allow to cool, but not completely.
7. Transfer cooled mixture into individual serving dishes, layering blueberries then the banana pie mixture, then sliced strawberries for a "red, white & blue" effect.
8. Place in refrigerator to cool completely until ready to serve.

For my Memorial Day banana cream pies, I rolled out pre-made pie crust and used a cookie cutter to cut out stars. I baked them for about 15 minutes (every oven is different, so watch your stars closely) and added them to my cooled "pies" right before I served them.



Tomorrow....my red, white, & blue Rice Krispies treats recipe!





  

No comments:

Post a Comment