Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day Gratitude

Life is Good: I'm proud to be an American

Month of Gratitude, Day Eleven

My due date was July fourth. Maybe this is why I have been called a firecracker more than once? : ) I don't know if being born in July is what did it, but I have always felt very patriotic. I get goosebumps when I hear the "Star Spangled Banner" and tear up when I recite the "Pledge of Allegiance". A lot of this is because I think of people across the world who don't have it as easy as me. Parents who can't get medication as easily for their children, mamas who don't have access to clean water, women who can't complain about how fat they look in their jeans because they aren't allowed to wear jeans. And more.

On Veteran's Day, I salute veterans, past and present. Freedom isn't free. Freedom sometimes squashes dreams and breaks up families. Freedom sometimes breaks innocence and worse, hearts. Today is not about analysis of battles or occupations. Today is not about opinions. Today, is about veterans and their families.

On days like this, I can't help but think of my Grandma's brother, Bob, and the story she told me about the last time that her family saw him. You can read about it by clicking here.

Freedom isn't free, so I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment